Tuesday 12 April 2011

Fate or Freewill? Revisited

A change on what I have said earlier in writing assignment #1, I believe now that free will is how our world works. What made me change me mind was because of a simple thing that happened while I was working on the photovore for science club.

While soldering wires to the voltage comparator, which is essentially the brain of the photovore, I remember one pin on the chip being especially hard to solder. The solder refuses to stick to that pin. After a while I got frustrated, and just held the pin the hot solder for a long time. When I took it out again, there were solder stuck to it. But unknown to me, the heat from the soldering iron and the hot solder made tiny changes in the architecture of the chip, rendering it completely useless. In other words, I fried the chip.

Because of this small change, the progress that I have made that entire morning was undone. The entire project was put on hold because of the broken chip. It was not until after several days, when the new chip arrived, that I was able to resume work on the robot.

Several events happened as a result of the few extra seconds of contact between the soldering iron and the pin.

1) The science department had to pay about $10 for the replacement chip, since the website that I ordered from charges $1 for the chip, and $9 for shipping and handling.

2) I feel ripped off, because the chip is only worth $2 at the most, but it had cost $10 to get it.

3) Mrs. Mohan was not too happy about spending an extra 10 dollars. Even though she did not say anything, I felt something in her expression.

4) This could have remained in her subconscious, and could have affected her mood while she was marking some test that day. If she was in a bad mood subconsciously, she could have been a little more harsh in her marking subconsciously. Some unlucky student could have gotten a few more points deducted from his or her test than if Mrs. Mohan had been in a better mood.

5) The student did poorly on the test, and that few points made him or her fail the test.

6) The student`s self esteem drops as a result

7) The student is also doing poorly in the course, that test pulled his or her average below the passing point.

8) He or she drops the course, which is a requirement for the university program that he or she wants.

9) When the student applies to an university, the admission officer sees the dropped class on the transcript, while another student with similar qualities passed the course. The admission officer decides to offer the last remaining spot on the other student, and declines the first one.

10) The student did not get accepted into his or her dream university, further damaging his or her self-esteem.

11) The student get depressed, starts doing drugs, and eventually becomes a drug addict and commits suicide.

All the above may occur as a result of a few extra seconds of contact between a pin on a chip, and a soldering iron.

I know that this sounds far fetched, and the possibility of it happening is as likely as pigs being able to fly, but it kinds of make some sense on the argument of free will.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the idea behind this post, Ray. It was similar to the clip that we watched from Run Lola Run. While I feel the need to defend teaching professionalism and objectivity, I do get the point that you're making about the impact that mere and seemingly isolated seconds could have on someone's life. Solid.

    ReplyDelete